Supporting and enhancing the community of Hammonds Plains through the provision of a furnished community centre via a self-sustaining non-profit organization.
1) Increase human resource capacity.
- Attract, retain and engage volunteers.
- Hire general manager.
2) Promote the use of HPCC for public access
- Maximize the use of HPCC by supporting community interests.
3) Create a diversified funding base for the HPCC
- Seek support through the provincial and federal government, HRM, and other sources to determine what, if any, funding opportunities may be available.
- Generate revenue to support operational needs.
- Seek longer term rental opportunities for basement and kitchen areas.
- Seek partnerships with local service clubs, youth organizations, and non-profit community entities.
4) Support the growth of a sense of community in Hammonds Plains
- Encourage the community feels a sense of ownership of the community centre.
- Provision of at-cost space to non-profit organizations.
- Provide volunteering opportunities at HPCC.
- Consult with the community regarding future needs.
- Ensure HPCC is inclusive, welcoming, and accessible
5) Ensure the maintenance and preservation of the HPCC physical infrastructure.
- Renovation of the kitchen and bar area to support first-rate recreational, cultural, and social programming.
- Continue efforts to maximize accessibility through renovations.
- Upgrade existing facilities to suit current and future demand.
- Develop a contingency for unexpected repairs.
1) Capital Priorities:
- Curb Appeal Project: upgrade the exterior to enhance the look of the building.
- Goal: completed July 11, 2015
- Renovate the kitchen into a multi-purpose conference room and commercial kitchen
- Goal: completed August 12, 2016
- Finish the basement. This space needs insulation and could be developed into usable space.
- Goal: 2018
2) The association needs to identify niches where it can deliver services that the community demands, all in a manner that achieves long-term financial sustainability. Over the next year, a number of steps will be taken to explore these opportunities:
- Community Open Houses – at HPCC and other community organizations.
- Solicit Community Feedback to identify under-serviced areas where HPCC can assist.
- Engineer Assessment to identify long-term capital requirements.
- Visit Community Groups Outside of Hammonds Plains to identify best practices, opportunities and potential partnerships.