Venue Rental Terms and Conditions (October 2022)
This agreement (the “Agreement“) contains the terms and conditions applicable to the rental and use by you (“you” or “your””) of the rented space within the facility or the entire facility (collectively the “Facility”) owned by Hammonds Plains Community Centre (“HPCC”). By clicking the agreement box and paying the rental fees, you accept this agreement.
HPCC CONTACT INFORMATION
- Your HPCC Contact Person is John Casey, General Manager. Text or telephone 902-718-6240.
- If unavailable, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the HPCC main number 902-835-6790 and leave a message. The message will immediately be sent to members of HPCC, and they will respond to your question.
VENUE RENTAL AND OTHER SERVICES
- The invoice shall detail the dates, times, room(s) and other services to be provided by HPCC.
- The Facility is to be used only on the date(s) and hour(s) shown on the invoice and for the purpose specified on your booking request.
- You shall have access to the room(s) indicated on the invoice. Other areas of the facility are not to be used and may be rented by other parties.
- The amount you will pay for your rental and use of the Facility (the “Fees”) shall be in accordance with the fee schedule as determined by HPCC and as updated from time to time.
- Fees are due in advance and if not paid by the due date, HPCC has the right to refuse access to the facility and the booking deposit shall be forfeited. Fees for Party ‘n’ Go Packages are due 30 days prior to your rental and for weddings and bar events, fees are due 60 days prior to your rental.
- Payment of Fees may be made by post-dated cheque (payable to Hammonds Plains Community Centre), E-Mail Money Transfers (to email@example.com) or credit card by using the links on the booking system or invoice.
- HPCC may charge you a $40 service charge for any cheques returned from a bank for any reason, including, but not limited to, insufficient funds. If a payment is returned, your rental shall be suspended until your Fees are paid in full and in the interim, the Facility may be rented to others.
- A non-refundable Booking Deposit of 25% of the facility rental fee (excluding extra services) is required to confirm the booking and secure the date requested. The Booking Deposit is due within 7 days of the invoice date. If not received, the booking shall be deemed cancelled.
- A Damage and Cleaning Deposit may be required. The Damage and Cleaning Deposit is refundable after the facility has been inspected by HPCC and will be returned within 14 days following your event.
YOU AND YOUR GUESTS
- You must be nineteen (19) years of age or older in order to complete the rental for the Facility.
- If you are renting the Facility on behalf of an organization, you represent and warrant that you have the authority to act on behalf of and bind the organization to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and everywhere in this Agreement that refers to you or your, shall also include your organization.
- You, or if you are signing on behalf of an organization, then an authorized representative of the organization, must be present for the duration of the rental period or you must be prepared to provide the name and contact information of the person HPCC staff may contact to confirm your authorized use of the Facility. If you or the authorized person is not present during the rental period, or if HPCC staff is unable to contact the authorized person using the contact information you provide, HPCC staff reserve the right to request you, members, participants and spectators leave the Facility until your rental of the Facility is confirmed.
- This rental agreement creates a license to use the Facility, or a specific space within the Facility, only for the duration of your rental term and it is granted for the exclusive benefit of you only and may not be transferred, assigned or sub-licensed to any other party.
- You shall comply with, and you shall cause your members, participants and spectators using the Facility to comply with, all federal, provincial and municipal laws, and all applicable rules and regulations, policies and procedures of HPCC that may apply to your use of the Facility.
- You shall abide by, and you shall cause your members, participants and spectators using the Facility to abide by, all notices, regulations and signage posted in the Facility.
- You are responsible for the behavior of your members, participants and spectators and shall ensure that all participants and spectators are aware of and abide by these terms and conditions and all notices and regulation signs posted in the Facility. Improper behavior or language, verbal abuse, or disrespect to Facility staff and/or the public will not be tolerated. HPCC, including Facility staff, shall have the right at any time to eject from the Facility or refuse admittance to any person who, in the opinion of anyone having responsibility or supervision of the Facility, is creating a disturbance or behaving in an objectionable or unacceptable manner.
- If you are a HPCC director or volunteer, or a member of the Hammonds Plains Fire Department, you must be present for the entire event.
- You agree that the facility is subject to 24-hour video surveillance.
ALCOHOL AND SMOKING
- The possession, consumption, sale or distribution of alcoholic beverages is prohibited, either within the facility or outside, except where approval has been granted by HPCC and the appropriate liquor license has been obtained.
- Where Bar Service has been requested and agreed to by HPCC:
- Alcohol must be served from the bar area only. HPCC will be responsible for the bar service and will collect all revenues from the sale of alcohol.
- All alcohol consumed on premises must be purchased by HPCC under an appropriate license. Licence must be visible for the duration of the event.
- Hours for the bar are 8:00 PM TO 12:00 AM unless otherwise indicated on the Rental Invoice. The opening hours must not extend beyond what has been approved under your Liquor License for the event. Additional hours can be arranged in advance for an additional cost.
- You shall comply with Nova Scotia’s Smoke-free Places Act, Smoking and/or the use of chewing tobacco or marijuana or cannabis or related drugs or narcotics is strictly prohibited within the Facility. There shall be no smoking within four (4) meters of the Facility entrance or exit ways, windows or intake vents.
- The Firefighters’ Hall has maximum a capacity of 187 for bar events with tables and chairs. You must confirm the capacity of the room(s) to be used with Facility staff. Room capacity varies by the room and intended usage. You shall ensure that the capacity of the room(s) to be used within the Facility is not exceeded during the term of your rental. You agree that HPCC staff reserve the right to request you, members, participants and spectators leave the Facility until the room’s proper capacity is reached.
- You shall confine the activities of your group using the Facility to the rooms designated on the Invoice and the associated entrances and washrooms.
CONDITION OF FACILITY
- You agree to inspect the Facility at the beginning of the rental term and report any issues or hazards to Facility staff. If there are no Facility staff immediately available, you are to report any issues via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 902-835-6790.
- Staff Cleaning is included in all Party ‘n’ Go and Bar Event packages. Unless specifically contracted for, cleaning is the responsibility of the renter.
- You shall exercise the greatest care in the use and occupation of the Facility, you agree that you are responsible for any set-up or tear-down of the rental area that may be required, you agree that the Facility will be left in an equal or better condition than that which existed prior to the rental term commencing, and you agree to use any equipment or furnishings only for their intended use and return them to their proper location at the end of your rental term. Besides tables, chairs and cleaning supplies, there are no equipment, supplies or materials available for your rental nor is their storage space available at the Facility, unless specially advised or contracted for by HPCC. You further agree that you are responsible for any loss, damage or theft of any equipment used. Should you not leave the Facility in a clean and tidy state, you agree that HPCC may, in its sole discretion and within thirty (30) days of your use of the rental area, invoice you for any damages or extra cleaning costs arising from your use of the rental area in the Facility.
- HPCC, in its sole discretion, may require that you provide a Damage and Cleaning Deposit prior to your use of the Facility. The deposit shall be returned to you at the end of your rental term if you have met the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
- HPCC makes no representations or guarantees as to the condition of the Facility or as to the fitness for purpose or suitability of the Facility for your activities or event. You agree that if any of your members, participants or spectators observe any unusual or significant hazards or accidents or incidents during the term of the rental, you will cause the members, participants and spectators to remove themselves from participation and bring such hazard, accident or incident to the attention of the nearest Facility staff member immediately.
- You shall ensure the Facility is kept safe for Facility staff, your members, participants and, where applicable, members of the public attending your event or present in the Facility.
- If you require security personnel or other security requirements to be present during your rental of the Facility, you shall arrange such requirements prior to the time of your rental and any costs associated with the security requirements will be your responsibility.
- In the event of an emergency, you shall ensure that Facility emergency evacuation plans, as posted in the Facility, are followed and you assume responsibility for any emergency situation(s) that may occur while your members, participants and spectators are using the Facility.
- Emergency exits and emergency equipment, including hallways, corridors and access routes to alarm pull stations and fire extinguishers, must not be blocked by you or your members, participants or spectators at any time and unimpeded access to these must be maintained throughout the term of your rental.
- If first aid assistance is required, and after contacting 911 if the emergency requires this, you must contact Facility staff.
- You shall ensure that children 12 years of age and under are supervised by an adult over the age of 19 at all times.
- You agree that exterior doors are to be kept closed at all times.
- You agree to not alter any electrical system to accommodate a sound system or other equipment or for any other purpose. No hanging of electrical wires of any kind from the ceilings.
USING THE FACILITY
- Facility staff may be on site for the duration of your rental term and is required to perform certain tasks at the Facility. You agree to respect Facility staff’s instructions and understand that staff is authorized to take any action necessary to ensure the terms and conditions of this Agreement are followed.
- If you are charging admission to events that will occur in the Facility, or if you are operating concessions or fund-raising activities in the Facility, you must receive written permission from HPCC prior to the time of the event. You are responsible for obtaining any required permits or licenses.
- You agree that parking may be limited and is on a first-come, first-served basis. Vehicles parked in emergency exits, fire lanes and/or accessible parking spots may be ticketed or towed at owners’ expense.
- Noise from your event must not disrupt or interfere with other events/activities within the Facility. Further, you agree to adhere to municipal bylaws regarding amplified music at specified times.
- No animals, except for properly documented service animals, are permitted in the Facility at any time.
- Posting or displaying advertising is prohibited unless such promotional material is approved by Facility staff and affixed to community events/notice board in the Facility. Reasonable signage placed in the Facility for the purpose of directing visitors or invitees to the rental location is permitted. Solicitation of donations from Facility attendees is prohibited unless prior written approval is provided by HPCC or Facility staff.
- You shall ensure that decorations are limited to tables, floors and other areas approved by Facility staff. Poster putty may be used on the walls. Nothing to be hung from the ceiling. Confetti, nails, tacks, tape, screws or similar articles are not permitted to be used, installed or placed in any part of the Facility without the permission of Facility staff.
- Candles and smoke machines or facsimiles are not permitted.
- You shall vacate the area in the Facility which you have booked by the finish time as indicated in your Contract. Should you stay past the time allotted for your rental, HPCC may charge you an additional amount equal to a one (1) hour rental of that area within the Facility.
- You shall have seven (7) days from date of booking to review the invoice and rental terms and conditions. After that time, the Booking Deposit shall become non-refundable.
- HPCC reserves the right to deny rental of the Facility to individuals or groups that may violate or promote the violations of the rights that are guaranteed to other individuals or groups under the Nova Scotia Human Rights Act and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom.
- HPCC reserves the right to amend or cancel this Agreement for any reason, including but not limited to emergencies, maintenance or inclement weather.
- HPCC shall have the right to cancel this Agreement immediately, prior to or during the rental term, without notice to you if, in the opinion of HPCC staff, you or any person(s) using the Facility with or without your consent wilfully damages property, displays misconduct, unlawfully consumes alcohol, or is otherwise in violation of any terms or conditions of this Agreement, municipal law or policy or applicable federal or provincial law.
- If HPCC closes the Facility in accordance with this Agreement, subject to the following, your Fees shall be refunded. However, if HPCC does not close the Facility in accordance with this Agreement, it is your responsibility to cancel your Facility rental. You therefore acknowledge and agree that:
- should you wish to cancel your rental and receive a refund of your Fees (less the Booking Deposit), you must provide HPCC with at least thirty (30) days of notice.
- if your rental agreement is for a wedding or bar event, you must provide sixty (60) days notice of your cancellation in order to receive a refund of your Fees (less the Booking Deposit).
- If you provide HPCC with less than 30 days (or 60 days for weddings and bar events) but at least 7 days notice of cancellation, you will receive a refund of 50% of your Fees.
- if you do not provide HPCC with notice of cancellation, or you provide less than seven (7) days of notice of your cancellation, or if the time between your rental being confirmed and your use of the Facility is less than seven (7) days, then you shall be charged the full amount of your Fees and no refund shall be provided; and,
- This Agreement is governed by the laws of Nova Scotia and the laws of Canada applicable therein without regard to principles of conflicts of law. Any disputes shall be determined exclusively in the courts of Nova Scotia.
- Should any part of this Agreement be determined to be void by a competent judicial or legislative authority, the remainder shall be valid and enforceable.
- Should an amendment be required to this Agreement, you shall authorize such amendment prior to it becoming effective. All other terms and conditions of the Agreement shall remain in full force and effect after an amendment is completed.
- HPCC does not accept responsibility for any loss, property damage or injury which may arise from your rental of the Facility including any items lost or stolen while you are at the Facility or any parking area. This includes loss or damage to equipment and property brought to the Facility by your members, participants and spectators and extends to that equipment or property which may remain after the rental term has concluded.
- You and your heirs, personal representatives and next of kin, agree to indemnify and hold harmless HPCC, it’s Directors, employees, volunteers and agents from and against all liability, loss, claims, demands, costs and expenses, including reasonable legal fees, occasioned wholly or in part by, or arising out of, any cause whatsoever, except for HPCC’s gross negligence or wilful misconduct but including your negligence or acts or omissions by you, your officers, agents, employees, volunteers or others for whom you are responsible at law, or third parties, either direct or indirect, through your use and/or operation of the Facility.
(Updated October 2022)
SCHEDULE: HPCC BEVERAGE SERVICE
RESPONSIBLE BEVERAGE SERVICE POLICY
- HPCC supports responsible beverage service and responsible consumption of alcoholic beverages in compliance with Nova Scotia Liquor Licensing regulations.
- HPCC upholds responsible beverage policies and procedures in compliance with the Nova Scotia Liquor Licensing Regulations and for the protection of our guests, staff and community.
- To meet these standards of responsible service, HPCC has trained its staff in the ‘Serve Right Responsible Beverage Service Program’, conducted by the Nova Scotia Tourism Resource Council. Our Goal is to provide safe, responsible, courteous and professional service. We serve our guests in a friendly and responsible manner and are committed to upholding the liquor laws of the province of Nova Scotia.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- Guests must be able to produce a valid government issued picture ID on request, Failure to produce a valid ID will result in refusal of entry.
- Be a member or accompanied by a member or be a Renter or an invited guest of a Renter, to be granted admittance.
- Intoxicated persons will be denied admittance at the door.
- Persons under the Age of 19 will not be permitted entry unless accompanied by an adult.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
- Alcoholic beverages will not be served to:
- persons under the age of 19
- guests who are determined to be impaired
- anyone causing a disruption or behaving inappropriately
- intoxicated persons
- to anyone who once evaluated under the “Traffic Light System” and has been assigned as “RED”.
- Managers and Servers will communicate regularly concerning the condition of guests in order to make quick and effective decisions and to regulate service.
- Guests showing signs of impairment level “RED” will not be served
- Last Call will be announced 30 minutes prior to closing time, 1:00 am. No alcohol will be served after closing time. Guests are allowed another 30 minutes after closing time, 1:00am to finish their drinks and leave the premises
- Alcoholic beverages may not be taken from the premises.
DISRUPTIVE AND INTOXICATED GUESTS
- When discontinuing service servers will:
- enlist the support of the guest’s friends should the guest not respond to a private conversation
- not allow the guest to drive away
- offer safe transportation
- persons causing a disruption or behaving inappropriately will not be served, maybe asked to leave the premises and have may have their membership reviewed.
- if an intoxicated or disruptive guest is perceived to a threat to him/herself or others (e.g., insists on driving home) and he/she refused to comply with the wishes of the server or manager on duty, the police may be called to assist as a last resort.